Thursday, 25 June 2009

Fruit thieves!

The case of the disappearing blackcurrants.


Hmm. Nearly ripe blackcurrants. Nearly is good enough for Topaz!



Good things are worth sharing - Garnet comes over for a quick peck. And to think 'She' thought this miserable netting would keep us off them!


Back to home base and Topaz and Amber think you can't beat a good scrat around in a bucket of dirt!

8 comments:

Celia Hart said...

Aaaah - looks familiar!

Bet you couldn't bring yourself to feel angry ;-)

Do you grow grapes? If so, watch out - grapes are our hens most favourite thing in the whole world, they'll sniff them out and demolish a whole bunch in the blink of an eye!!!

Celia

Hazel said...

The run is still looking really good - do you have to do much 'housekeeping'?

Kath said...

Of course you can't feel angry with them Celia - it's their natural foraging instinct. They also love strawberries - not that they get anywhere near the strawberry bed! They do get any damaged ones though, and will pile on each other's heads to get there first!

I haven't got a grape vine. Sounds like it wouldn't do me much good if I did!

Housekeeping in the run involves going around at least twice a day with a bucket, kid's seaside spade and elderly barbecue fork and scraping up. It doesn't take long. It's quite easy to keep it nice in good weather but in heavy rain it gets slopped about before you get to it!

BilboWaggins said...

The girls obviously have good taste and are developing a wide-ranging palate!

Sewing Granny said...

OOOOoo naughty chikkies! perhaps Mrs should but up a cage round her currants!

Kath said...

Mrs actually has a cage of 2" stiff plastic mesh around them Granny. Chikkies have notices that they can jump up and get their beaks through the mesh!

Haven't yet had blackcurrant flavoured eggs though!

Matron said...

Yes, I've noticed they love blackberries too. When one chicken finds something good to eat, there is an excited squawk and the others come over to see! Endlessly fascinating birds.

Kath said...

When I came to pick the blackcurrants yesterday I had 5! I gave them to the chickens 'cos I'm just an auld softie!