Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Chicken fun!

Autumn clear-up in the vegetable garden.


The chickens were allowed out this afternoon onto the back garden vegetable plot. They raked amongst the annual weeds and the remains of the tomatoes and the sweetcorn and courgette stalks. Then The Man started digging and behold! Worms!

The Man had to hang back a bit to avoid kebabbing a chicken. The Woman took over to give the plot a rough winter digging and pounds of worms were consumed by the feathered ones.

Eventually the intrepid Amber wandered off into the shrubs for a fossick around. She stayed under there grubbing about for 10 minutes or so, until the lure of the worm bonanza brought her back. This was such a successful expedition it might be repeated, but not too often. When they come out of the run now they trot over to their fenced off bit of grass. I don't want them to assume the veg plot is permanently theirs too!

6 comments:

Celia Hart said...

Oh happy day!!!!

"kebabbing a chicken" - very good, I know the problem!

Let's hope the guzzles some nasty pesty grubs as well as the worms.

Celia

Hazel said...

I've never seen such happy chickens! Are they still rewarding you with daily eggs, even at this time of year?

QuiltSue said...

Do they only eat worms (hmm, isn't there a poem that is something about going and eating worms?) or other things too like slugs?

BilboWaggins said...

I'm torn by this {smile} - glad the girls had such a lovely afternoon but sorry for your soil that so many worms were gobbled up.

Kath said...

If it moves, they'll have guzzled it Celia!

We are still generally getting 4 eggs a day from the 4 chickens Hazel. Every so often one lays later and later in the day then skips a day. Can't complain as the hours of daylight are so much less.

'Nobody loves me, everybody hates me' - is that the one Sue? They do gobble up slugs and woodlice too, and I suspect, anything that moves!

Not too sad for the soil Bilbo - plenty more worms where they came from and the chickens don't usually get out there to wreak havoc.

Sewing Granny said...

Oooohhh they have been on an adventure - bet they loved their 'day out'. Wish I had been there to watch them, I find chickens facinating - as I have said before I am sure!