
The old patio heater has proved irresistible for egg laying. For the last 3 mornings there have been 2 in there. If nothing else, the chickens have been a bit quieter in the mornings. Maybe the shouting wasn't all "Come and look, I've laid and EGG!" so much as "Shift over quick, I've got to lay an EGG!" Without the queue for the nest box everyone can lay somewhere comfy. According to DEFRA there should be one nest box per 7 hens. We have one between 4 and they all lay so closely in time that there was often an egg under the perch when someone was caught short!
5 comments:
Perhaps shouting inside the chiminea echoes too much and once outside they have forgotten what they were going to say.........it has been sooo hot here - days and days of 35C+ that our own 'ti have hens ' project has ground to a halt ' so it is nice to look in on yours.
Our hens definitely shout if they have to queue, so you're on to something there.
I wonder if they'll still use it in the winter?
Celia
We've had a couple of hot days here Steph, but nothing like 35+ - I'd have to have a lie down or two I think!
I'm not sure about the winter Celia. They don't feel the cold as much as we do, do they? But an indoor next box would appeal to me more!
Obviously your chickens don't like queuing!
I must stop thinking "Tandoori Chicken". What you've done is brilliant and obviously the girls are very happy with this new arrangement.
Post a Comment