"I wonder why they've netted off those fruit bushes?" Garnet and Topaz survey my attempts to save the Tayberries for us, not them. They don't look well impressed do they?
A little stroll across the patio on the way to Chicken Field. No hurry - there are lots of things to stick your beak in on the wayWe all like apple! Roaming around Chicken Field is obviously great fun. However, it is not to be shared if you have a delicate disposition. When a chicken has just found, run away with and fought for possession of a huge black slug, then eaten it with evident relish, she has a smear of sticky slug slime remaining around her beak for ages, getting grass and dirt stuck to it. These chickens grew up in a pen covered in shavings, inside a poly tunnel. No-one fed them slugs. How do they know they can eat them? More to the point, why would they even try in the first place?

4 comments:
Perhaps I should get some chooks, I could certainly do with someone on slug patrol here!
Me too Sewali - I try not to use pellets cos I don't know if they harm the birds.
I've just been looking after chickens for a week now and I find their behaviour unexpectedly fascinating! They walk to heel better than my dog does and they beg for food when we are eating outdoors! I love their vocalizations, the sheer joy of a squawk when they have found something exciting to eat!
People do look at you funny when you wax lyrical about chickens - but you're right Matron - they are endlessly fascinating. Once you've kept chickens you never take an egg for granted again either!
Post a Comment