What to choose? White Stars, Amber Stars, Sussex, Blue, Speckledy - or Black?



From front to back - here are Pepper, Nutmeg and Ginger.
We decided to take another trip into North Lincolnshire to visit Shaun King at
http://www.outgatepoultry.com/ who provided us with our lovely Rangers. We were spoilt for choice but fell for the Outgate Blacks and brought 3 of them back home today. They are standing in the run looking stunned, without a gorm between them! The Rock Chicks are on Chicken Field at the moment but when they are ready to go back, we have thick netting in place to divide the run for the first several days.

This is the pen of Blacks that decided us. We chose suitable 'black' names on the way home, Jet, Ebony etc, but when we took them from their travelling boxes and they stood blinking in the weak East Yorkshire sun, they looked very varied and not entirely black so that the names didn't really suit. The one with the palest breast feathers begged to be called Ginger, the darkest became (Black) Pepper and the in betweeny became Nutmeg - so we ended up with Spice Girls rather than mysteriously Shakespearean Dark Ladies.
I think we have an interesting few days ahead (as in 'May you live in interesting times'!)
3 comments:
Mmm, faced with those choices I think I would have come home with the Outgate Blacks too. The Spice Girls look wonderful and I hope you don't have too many problems integrating them with the Rock chicks.
and so the family grows. You'll soon be able to put on a pop festival, Rock Chicks first, Spice Girls next, what comes after them? Beatles, Stones, McFly?
Lovely! Just found your 'other' blog! I can't follow you I don't think you have a follow thing enabled but I'm looking you up regularly all the same, I love your blogs! And your chooks. I just got myself a new aracana today. Hope she settles in ok. My girls are pretty friendly so I hope so!
Post a Comment