Amber Chicken has had to be turfed out of the nest box the last 3 days. She is pictured sitting on nothing! She will happily sit on everyone else's eggs, or as here, on no eggs at all and the rest have to lay on the floor of the house. I've taken to turfing her off, which she really doesn't like, but otherwise she doesn't eat or drink. I don't want her to lose condition and I have absolutely no intention of raising chicks so I have to be brutal. She distracts easily with a few treats and after half an hour of ruffling her feathers up and swearing at me, she goes back to her normal sunny self.
A funny thing, your average chicken!

6 comments:
There's no such thing as an 'average chicken'!!
Maybe she's not broody, just incredibly crafty and worked out that this is a good way to get the two-legs to supply more treats? {grin}
In this weather you don't want the silly girl to stop drinking, good luck.
I suspect not, DevonMaid!
I wouldn't be surprised Bilbo! She hasn't done it today though. Even a chicken can take a hint!
I love your chickens... and am so envious of all bloggers who talk about their chickens like beloved children, or good friends, not just feathered providers of eggs. I can't keep them for medical reasons, which I am miffed about to say the least....
Maggie at laburnumcottage.blogspot.com.
Who found you via purple podded peas by the way!
Word verification was STROCUS... a cross between streptocarpus and crocus??? Could be interesting...
Do what my mother did to a broody hen if she did not want chicks. Grab her legs and point her bum towards a sink or tub full of cold water and hold her there for a short spell. Sure worked wonders for my Mum - and for the hen!!
I like to spoil my chickens Anonymous. I wouldn't like dunking in cold water so I won't do it to my chickens. She goes broody for about 4 days a month but doesn't stick it out.
Post a Comment