Friday, 8 January 2010

We're ok!


At 3.15 the light is fading and the snow is falling fast but our chicken-run roof is keeping the worst at bay. We still like eating snow though - when it comes in on someone's shoes!

3 comments:

Kath said...

Whoops, sorry to those who posted a comment - I hit reject instead of accept! I blame the cold!

Matron - the water hasn't ever frozen in the day - but each morning I have to break the ice to change it. It's the overnight temperatures that are so low but they are tucked up - like Celia's girls with Tarragon!
When the weather warms up, Bilbo - no more Mrs Nice Guy! They get their pellets cold too, ad lib, so they'll just have to go back to pecking them up from the feeder!

Sewing Granny said...

I was watching 'Pie in the sky' last night and himself plays classical music to his chickens to keep them happy - do yours like music or haven't you tried it? do you have to give them heaters or the like during this cold weather?

Kath said...

I've never tried them with music Granny - but they are very hardy. Their body temperature is higher than ours. they are more likely to suffer from over than under heating. What is really bad for them is wet and wind.