After a worrying Saturday morning when Amber went all mopey, wouldn't eat or drink, and stood around hunched up, occasionally closing her eyes, we were very relieved when she started to scratch about, eat and drink again by afternoon. No other symptoms! Don't they scare you? Anyway, she is happily nicking greens from others and scratching about as always.
On Sunday morning I filled up the nest box with clean bedding and Ruby was in after me - almost as I was doing it - and scratching about and sitting in there. I closed the lid and we had to be out all day. I wondered if Amber's little 'blip' and Ruby's anxiety to get into the box indicated eggs on the way. When we got home there were 3 - perfect little pullet eggs! I'm not sure who isn't laying - both Amber and Garnet have slightly paler combs and wattles. Anyway, I'm sure whoever it is won't lag for long.
The eggs were absolutely beautiful with lovely golden yolks. They almost looked too lovely to eat, but it would be a shame not to make use of their sterling efforts. Good girls!

9 comments:
What little gems!
Mmmmmm... worrying if one looks a little bit 'not herself', celebrating the first eggs, wondering whose egg is whose – Yep! you're a Hen-Witch alright ;-)
Celia
How exciting, I didn't think they'd be laying so soon after their move, they must like their new home!
Tee hee, "Hen Witch", last time a group of your friends were talking witches didn't one of us end up Green Witch?
Wonderful to see you have eggs so soon, the girls must definitely like Beak House and the staff must be doing something right (grin).
Fantastic! Well done girls!
I am honoured to be counted amongst the Hen Witches!
Yes Bilbo - we have witchery off to a fine art eh?
mmmm - fresh eggs for breakfast - lovely! I am not suprised that they have started laying so quickly, you have certainly made them welcome, they are just repaying you for all the love you have given them!
I love those labels! Aren't the yolks fantastic? I was just feeding Tikka and Korma spinach and dandelion leaves every day to see just how dark I could get the yolks... when they had to go home:-(
Another scientific experiment nipped in the bud eh Matron!
What a beautiful first egg Flummery! Bet they taste like he best egg you've ever eaten! I've got those Covent Garden plates too! Just had my dinner off one! :)
Post a Comment